How to use an Easy Transfer cable to transfer files to new Windows 10 PC
Looking to transfer with a cable? Our Easy Transfer software will get that done for you!
You've probably heard about using an Easy Transfer Cable to transfer your files from one computer to another. In this guide, we'll learn how to do this transfer, which cables to use and what are today's alternatives and improvements on the old transfer cable route (yes, you can even transfer without a cable!).
What is an Easy Transfer Cable?
An Easy Transfer Cable is a type of cable that helps transfer data from one computer to another. The transfer itself is done using a special software program that uses the cable to transfer your files. Once, these were special cables, usually USB cables (by Belkin, Plugable or Laplink) with a special box in the middle.
These days, you can also use Network cables (also called CAT5 or Ethernet cables) - in fact, you probably already have one and may not need to buy another! Network cables are faster and cheaper - and we recommend them. Here is how that cable looks like:
How do connect the computers with my Easy Transfer cable?
Just plug the cable between the computers. You won't make a mistake - there is only one type of port that the cable will fit into. So just find something on the back of each computer that the cable fits, and plug it there.
How do I transfer files from one computer to another using an Easy Transfer cable?
Once the cable is connected, run the transfer software and start the transfer. We recommend using Zinstall WinWin, a dedicated software that will transfer all of your stuff - programs, settings and files - to the new computer (more on that further on).
Can I transfer programs, emails, settings, passwords - not just files?
Yes. Using Zinstall WinWin, you will be able to transfer all of your stuff, including:
- Files, such documents, pictures, music, pictures and emails
- Settings, such as user profiles, emails, accounts, passwords, favorites, bookmarks, wallpaper and other personalization
- Programs, such as transferring Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Quickbooks, TurboTax, Firefox, Chrome, and other programs to the new computer
You can use WinWin with a cable, or even without a cable - going through wireless network or a USB drive.
Can I transfer without a cable?
Yes, but you'll need a Zinstall software to do it. It can transfer via your wireless network, your existing Internet connection, or even through a USB backup drive. Ask us how in the chat on the bottom-right of the page.
Does this work with Windows 10?
Yes. This transfer works with Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista and XP.
How use an Easy Transfer cable to transfer programs and files to a Windows 10 computer
- Run Zinstall WinWin on your current computer (the one you are transferring from).
Note: You can download WinWin here, and its user guide here.
- Run Zinstall WinWin on the new Windows 10 computer
- You don't need to do any configurations for the computers to connect - it's automatic
- If the computers are already connect to same router, same Internet connection, or same wireless connection, you don't need anything else
- If the computers are not connected at all, connect them with a network / Ethernet cable
- If you'd like to select which applications and files you want to transfer, press the Advanced menu. If you just want to transfer everything, you don't need to go to the Advanced menu.
- Press "Go" on the Windows 10 computer to start the transfer